Adjustable Gastric Banding System is the least invasive and the only adjustable surgical treatment for morbid obesity in the United States. Adjustable Gastric Banding induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed. The Illinois Bariatric Center is pleased to offer two types of gastric bands (LAP-BAND, REALIZE Band). Both demonstrate long-term weight loss and offer extensive online support to patients. No one procedure is right for everyone that is why we believe that patients should have a choice.
Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in June 2001, the LAP-BAND is made by Allergan and has the most clinical experience in the United States. The LAP-BAND has helped more than 250,000 patients worldwide achieve and maintain long-term weight loss.
Approved in September 2007, the REALIZE Band is the newest weight loss surgery option to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the United States. Made by Cincinnati-based Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., the REALIZE Band has been commercially available outside the U.S. since 1996 and has been used by more than 100,000 patients worldwide to help manage their weight.
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Significantly lower mortality risk than other obesity surgeries1
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- Reduced risk of hair loss
- No “dumping syndrome” related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing adjustment for increased nutritional needs
- Removable at any time
- A Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 120,000 cases performed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of practices around the world
- Academic publications with up to 8 years of follow-up
Executive summary: Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of obesity (Update and Re-appraisal). The Australian Safety and Efficacy Register of New Interventional Procedures – Surgical (ASERNIPS) 2002; 1. (Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding surgery, like the LAP-BAND surgery, is associate with a mean short-term mortality rate of around 0.05% compared to 0.50% for Gastric Bypass and 0.31% for Vertical Banded Gastroplasty.)